Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sock Sorrows ...


For every pair of socks I finish, one ends in despair ...

I was making Menehune socks in Panda cotton and it was going along fine, the yarn started to get low, but I usually end up with 1/2 a skein anyway so I figured what the heck. Plus the pattern said if I made my size I would be left with about 3 yds .. which is not a lot. Well I ran out of yarn, I tried to work the toes a bit early since this yarn has elastic in it and its pretty stretchy, but the sock just doesn't feel right. So I am going to make its mate, with a shorter leg, which is fine by me I like the cuffs short, and then rip back this one to the cuff and make them match.

I am still not sure what to do with my Firestarters, one sock is complete and the other is up to the leg, but the gauge was off, so they fit, but are a little roomy ...

I made Magic Lace Rib socks and I really do not like the star toe, so I should rip them back and do a regular toe.

I ripped out the Rivendell socks because the yarn was just not working with the pattern.

I was making Hypnosis socks and then noticed that the pattern is off and the heel should have been started at a different place so that the pattern worked out right.

UUrrggg!

Its a learning process!!! However I do have 2 pairs of nice socks that I love, so I guess as I do different patterns and use different yarns I will learn more. I also learned that regular stockinette socks are pretty comfy! So while knitting lace is fun and pretty, they aren't always the most comfortable, so I started a pair of plain ole' socks.

1 comment:

Tama said...

I can totally relate. I hate when every pair of socks I am working on has some sort of issue! It makes me crazy. I always end up starting something else and the project with the issue gets left behind--usually in the bottom of some knitting bag somewhere. LOL!