Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Completely Unstoppable ...

A Cardigan for Arwen
design by Kate Gilbert


OK so my self imposed "yarn diet" isn't exactly working, LOL!! I really wanted to make "A Cardigan for Arwen" since the moment I saw it in Interweave Knits Winter 2006 issue.


I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings Fan and even went to see the exhibition in Boston at the Museum of Science a few years ago when all of the costumes were on display ... how could I not make this sweater?!?!

Well the yarn called for in the pattern costs over $100. Not an option for me. So I have been bouncing around different options for this and was going to settle for a nice quality acrylic. However, at Jo Ann Fabrics today I found 100% wool, close to the look of the called for yarn on sale marked down from $5.99 / 87 yd ball to $2.37 per ball!!! So I bought more than enough yardage for this project and was so excited I cast on for it today. The total cost of the yarn ended up being about $40 and I had to buy needles too, so another $10 or so, but still much less than what was called for. I am hoping this yarn ends up having the same drape and wear. I did knit up a few gauge swatches and the yarn felt LOVELY against my skin and the stitch definition seemed to look very nice. I am hoping it looks well when I do the cables.

So somehow I have added yet another project to the long list of WIPs!

I also signed up for some classes at my LYS this Fall. One is on the Magic Loop Sock method which will be in September ... there should be NO REASON why I buy new yarn for this, I have EIGHT ... count 'em .... EIGHT skeins of sock yarn here that I can use in my stash.

I also signed up for Charmed Knits, we can pick any project from the book and knit that. I am contemplating the Quidditch Sweater or Hermione's Knitting Bag. There are just so many options. Again the main thing is cost. I think the Quidditch Sweater will be the winner because it'll only be about $35 in yarn. The last class will be on Halloween - my favorite holiday!

I am about half way through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and have ordered Deathly Hallows so I think I will be done once it arrives. I am hoping to finish before the Hogwart's Sock Kit Swap so that I can participate in the trivia!! Also don't want to hear any spoilers before I finish reading the books!

Updated WIP List:

  • Fingerless Gloves (1 to go - started)

  • Jaywalker Socks

  • Annette's Socks (one toe completed)

  • Hufflepuff Socks (on hold until other socks are done)

  • Art Yarns Toe Up Socks (one toe completed)

  • Tank Top

  • Reversible Cable Scarf

  • Drawstring Bag

  • Mandy's Candy Bag - DONE

  • Alpaca & Matrix Scarf

  • Dishcloth
  • A Cardigan for Arwen
  • Pumpkin Hat for Anthony size 6 mo (need to start asap)
  • Daisy Hat for Briannelise (need to start asap)

3 comments:

jackie said...

love that sweater. would love to see your progress on it. have you ever used knit pick yarns? they are pretty reasonably priced. also, congrats on winning in the vvs scavenger hunt. good work!

Delusional Knitter said...

I do like knit picks, even that was a little much more than I wanted to pay though for the cashmere blend ... their yarn is definitely an option for future projects too though!

Thanks for the congrats, that was one hard scavenger hunt!!

Tanya said...

I can't wait for the HP swap to start! Us Ravenclaws are going to win the House Cup this year!!!