Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dishcloth Swap Topic #2

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!

I am actually surprised that the person who seems to appreciate hand knit items the most and is amazed that I "make" these things is my friend Dave ... yes a man - even better yet, a man who is a mechanic ... though maybe that fosters his appreciation that I can "build" something out of yarn and needles, LOL!! Dave has a son who is turning one next month. Because he's got a wee one, its quite easy for me to find excuses to make tiny little items and since I don't have kiddos, they go to him!

On the other end of the spectrum, I recently made socks for a co-worker ... granted it took me about 6 months to finish them ... only because I was so NOT motivated to do it. When I took a sock knitting class last July I was chit chatting with her and she mentioned that she loved when her mom made knit socks for them ... her mother passed away long ago ... so before thinking I said, "Oh I'll knit you a pair" duh! Not even thinking I had several other projects, deadlines and had signed up for other classes that would take up my knitting time. I finally finished them the end of December - I was determined not to bring them into 2008! I gave them to her and it took a week or two before she even tried them on ... she did wear them to work that day though ... but if I got socks I would try them on immediately!!

No comments: