Here's my first mitten. I am using Pattons Classic Wool (not my first color choice, but I didn't have much of a choice at the store I went to). I am using my Knit Picks Harmony DPNs and I LOVE them. They are a little longer (8") than I am used to, but they work great and the colors are lovely.
I cast on 6 stitches and have been increasing from there, I am using size 5 needles (the yarn ball band suggests 7, but for mittens and socks where you want a tight knit fabric you go down a few sizes, I am a tight knitter anyway and have done worsted weight socks on size 5 so this should work well for me).
Since there is no pattern to follow I am not sure yet what I am going to do for the cuff or if I am going to try a pattern stitch on the hand. At this point all I have to work on is increasing until the size is right and then continuing down to the thumb.
I am working on a pretty big WIP list at the moment:
- Winter Blah Buster Buddy - for the Hot Cocoa Swap. I started something and have 3 more pieces to complete before I can put it together.
- Derek's Socks - I want to complete these by the end of the month (for Jan. Gift List - Year Long Gift-A-Long and December Cuff Down Sock for Sock Knitters Anonymous Group). These will also work for my January Sock a Month 5 and Socks from Stash groups too!
- Hoodie Scarf for Mom - I purchased the yarn for her Christmas gift and knew that the actual knitting would not be done in time, but told her I would make it for her after.
- Panda Cotton Socks - for myself.
- Dishcloth - not picked out yet but I will need one for the Defeat the Winter Doldrums Dishcloth swap.
- Color Block Sweater - Size 1 year for Anthony. I want to complete this by February - he's turning 1 year and also will be able to get some use out of it for the rest of Winter and Spring.
There are of course many, many other things started or that I have yarn for, but these are the things I am focusing on at the moment :o)
We went to see "I Am Legend" today - it was EXCELLENT! I think Will Smith is such a fantastic actor, he really makes me feel whatever his character is feeling at the time. The special effects were fantastic as well. It was a bit depressing at the end, but that's just how this particular movie ended. Otherwise I LOVED it.
I took Monday off from work and signed up for a Continental Knitting Class at my LYS. Also, it worked out well because I have applied for a part time job and they called me this week to come in for an interview, so I am doing that in the afternoon Monday, so I already am free from my full time job to get there! I love when things work out like that.